KPFT’s Spring Membership Drive started on Sunday May 9. The overall goal is $300,000
The Monitor needs your support during the drive.
Please Call 713-526-5738 during the show.
Headlines worth reading up on:
- Four Icelandic Bankers Arrested, Warrant Issued For Chairman; $2B Lawsuit Brought
- Regulators at the Minerals Management Service exempted 27 additional offshore drilling projects in the Gulf of Mexico from performing an in-depth environmental analysis even after the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded, according to reporting by McClatchy. One of those exemptions went to BP.
- BP Accused of Using Gulf of Mexico as ‘Toxic Testing-Ground’
- Noam Chomsky Denied Entry into Israel by Haaretz.com
- Iran Signs Nuclear Fuel Swap Deal With Turkey and Brazil by The Telegraph/UK
- Tritium Leak Poses Question for Integrity of NRC by The Rutland Herlad (Vt.)
Tonight’s Guests are Bob Shalveston and Greg Palast
Bob is the Executive Director of the COOK INLETKEEPER and a reformed attorney with backgrounds in biology, chemistry, and environmental sampling and compliance. He was Editor-in-Chief of the University of Oregon’s Journal of Environmental Law and Litigation, and has considerable experience in toxics, the Clean Water Act, and Right-to-Know issues. Prior to joining Inletkeeper in 1996, Bob worked in the United States Senate, Oregon’s Senate Majority Office, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, the New Jersey Marine Sciences Consortium, and the University of Oregon’s Ocean Coastal Law Center. He currently serves on the Boards of Directors of the National Waterkeeper Alliance and the Cook Inlet Citizen’s Regional Advisory Council. He holds a BA in Biology; Chemistry from Boston University and a JD from the University of Oregon.
He joins The Monitor to talk about Offshore Drillling, The Exxon Valdez spill and Chevron’s upcoming shareholder’s meeting in Houston.
Upcoming Chevron-related events in Texas:
- May 26, 2010:Come to a Special screening of Sweet Crude, Houston TX
- May 26, 2010: Protest Rally at Chevron, Houston TX
- May 25, 2010: True Cost of Chevron Public Forum, Houston, TX
- May 25, 2010: True Cost of Chevron Press Conference, Houston, TX
- May 22, 2010: Outreach Event at MonkeyWrench Books, Austin, TX
Greg Palast is the author of the New York Times bestseller, “Armed Madhouse“. Once called “The most important investigative reporter of our time” [Tribune Magazine] in Britain, Greg is American journalist whose work often makes headlines in the UK but upsets enough powerful people in the US that his work is rarely mentioned on corporate owned media outlets. His first reports appeared on BBC television and in the Guardian newspapers. You can read his work here: Greg Palast.com
Tonight we talk with him about the BP disaster in the Gulf, the Arizona Immigration Law and two new DVD’s you can get through our show tonight:
Jeremy Scahill, Greg Palast & Big Noise: From Blackwater to White Power
And his latest DVD: Palast Investigates
Please Call 713-526-5738 during the show to pick up a copy of this DVD